Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Year in Review: An Arena Perspective

It has been five months since my first post.  Hats off to edBloggers Jon Harper, Dennis Schug, Chris Crouch, Keith Howell, Peter M. DeWitt, Seth Berg and so many others who unfailingly answer the call of “inspiring” in a perfect, seemingly random, kind of way - cerebral energy much appreciated.

Hours away from a new year, I couldn’t but sit down and take a moment.  What did I leave behind? How did I measure up? What kind of learning integrity did I exhibit?  These are tough questions to answer.  To answer them truthfully, I have to be willing to climb up a long staircase, enter the arena via the “Gate of Life” and face an expectant crowd.  As I climb, very special moments flash before me.  I have moments outside my classroom where I hugged and cried with students who confided a family situation.  I think about the students who know that they are welcomed to the half-eaten donut I was saving for later or the extra “taco” that would’ve been my breakfast.  Can’t help but smile when I hear former students tell my students this year, “Mrs. Bolado can do anything.”  I often wonder where they get that from.  I try to correct their choice of words – as I certainly “can’t do everything”. But in their eyes, I can.  I got this reputation during the first half of the year.  I accompanied my all-lady STEM team to the White House.  A very proud Resaca Middle School planted its flag in Washington, before education giants like Arne Duncan, Charles M. Bolden and the President of the United States.  Later in the year, we were honored during the LCLAA Convention (Labor Council for the Latin American Advancement).  Top honorees received plaques for their dauntless work in unions.  One in particular addressed my ladies and said, “Your presence here is proof that our work has not been in vain!” The pride that overwhelmed our table is something I can’t articulate into words yet.  (You would have been proud, Mr. Jimmy Casas.)
The untraditional teaching approach was and continues to be a big hit in my classroom.  I can tell by the high-fives and fist bumps in between classes. Project-delivery is always an exciting time.  Their faces, their presentations, their videos – all created with me in mind.  I forget I have to give grades.  They are all winners, even the team of boys who decided that tennis shoes could be hung in such a way to create pendulum motion.  This is how they make my day, every day.  Frame by frame – these are the moments and emotions that have accumulated month after month.
So - at the top of the stairs, about to go out and face the crowd in 2015.  Truthfully, I am happy with who   I was to my students.  I am happy about the giving spirit I carried inside.  I learned, failed, and re-learned to be better for those under my watch.  But honestly, [and they don’t know it yet] I am going to take them higher.  This is not your floor, Resaca.  Maybe the kids are right.  Maybe we CAN do everything, together.  The crowd that is expecting us can be dubious, but our fighting spirit remains undaunted.   

I hear their chants and applause, that’s our cue.  Let’s go.

Dedicated to my #GatorTribe:
Asael Ruvalcaba, Carlos Lainez, & Leticia Rodriguez, #KeepFightingTheGoodFight

12 comments:

  1. Wow! You have been holding out on us! This was an inspirational masterpiece that had my eyes welling up and wanting to cheer for you at the end. You are a true inspiration to those of us fortunate enough to be in your PLN. Your indomitable spirit is refreshing and helps lift us all up. The way you crafted this piece was excellent and I can't wait to read your next piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon! Holding out is correct. So much to do in so little time..the best is yet to come!

      Delete
  2. Maggie - not WOULD have been proud. AM proud! You are an example of all that is great about education. You are a true champion for kids, a model for your peers and an ambassador for your community. I continue to watch from afar and learn from you on a daily basis. Your courage and energy you give into everything you do is admirable. Thank you for leading the way and reminding me that together we can be the change our kids and schools deserve. So proud of you! - jimmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The learning is mutual. There have been ups and many downs. But the twinkle in their eyes outweighs the downs..by far!

      Delete
  3. Maggie, this is a wonderful tribute to your students and an inspiration to all of us! I'm so proud of you and all that you are and do - thank you for sharing! No more holding back! :-)
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, you are SUCH an inspiration and a positive leader. This is a beautiful, beautiful post that shows your passion, your heart, and how centered you are - around your students and what's right for them. My absolute favorite part of this post is where you write that they don't know it yet, but you'll take them higher. THAT is teaching! And THAT is leadership!

    So proud of your courage, tenacity, and the good work you do for kids, Maggie. You have a gift in them, but they too have a gift - it's their teacher, Mrs. Bolando.

    Thank you for being a role model, for me.

    Happy 2015,

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dennis! Im working to leave a legacy at Resaca. Make a difference and change the course. Have great co-conspirators around me.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if my first post went through our not! I pressed Publish and it disappeared!

    I love this post, Maggie! I think it is an excellent reflection on a wonderful year that you are having. You have been an amazing inspiration to so many people and I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg for you. I do believe that your best is yet to come!

    You cannot imagine the number of people you have in your corner, that have been inspired by you and empowered by your leadership. I think it is wonderful that you took the time to share this reflection on your blog. Hopefully it acts as inspiration and empowerment for everyone. Keep doing what you believe in! Keep empowering students. Change the world!!!

    Oliver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Oliver! It has been an incredible ride. Surrounded by incredible people..

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete