Monday, July 28, 2014

First Blog. Ever.


So I’m sitting down going through Twitter edfeed on a particular evening last fall.  “Twitter is a great PD tool.” My Principal had encouraged its use among staff and preached its worth from day one.  As any new teacher, in a brand new district – you are inclined to give things a shot.  A new classroom motions a thousand butterflies into your head and invites ten thousand into your stomach.  Armed with a glue gun and distinct wallpaper – I had committed myself, very early on, to making a difference in this campus.  I had never taught middle school before, but I kept telling myself, “how different could sixth grade be from fifth?”  Back to TweetDeck.  I ran into a tweet from Verizon Foundation back in September.  “Win $20,000 for your school” were the twenty seven characters that stood out.  It had taken me a few weeks to figure out that my grade level was in need of some tech.  The winning team was to produce an app concept that would solve a problem in respective campus or community.  I thought about it for a good 5 minutes and plunged into the application process.  I had never sponsored anything before.  Not the cheerleading squad, nor a chess team, much less a national competition.  It sounded really good in my head, and yet I couldn’t get word out to my Principal for 3 weeks. I was a new hire, you see.  New hires are supposed to fly under the radar, listening and learning from veteran teachers - not spearheading such high-profile activities.  I did, however, feel a difference in this campus.  The air was different here.  Administration was different.  A wonderful, open-minded people whose strategy was to bring change by pushing the envelope (and the box).  Armed with a little more than my glue gun this time, I marched in.  His “Let’s do it!” became the locus point of where the pebble hit the water.  I sponsored 5 teams on this App Challenge (rookie undertaking), and one of my teams received a Best-In-Nation Award for producing an app that assists the visually-impaired in the navigation of a building.  Our campus received an invite from the White House in May and the completed app was presented to President Barack Obama at the White House National Science Fair.  One of my proudest moments as an educator was hearing POTUS pronounce “Resaca Middle School” as he commended my all-lady team during opening presidential remarks.  We also had the opportunity to speak with Google about our project and were invited to tour a few of their campuses in California this past June.  I had no idea how pronouncing the words, “What do you think about Resaca participating in…” would change my life.  Newspapers and reporters will never be able to quantify the positive effects exerted onto a campus and a community due to the concentric circles rippling out.  What’s my takeaway?  Being fearless changes the direction immediately.  Being fearless sees an impact opportunity and seizes it.  We are all better professionals, better people - because of dreamers.  Thank you Verizon Foundation.  Thank you Gator Administration.  All past and forth-coming accolades are dedicated to you.  You saw something in me that I hadn’t seen in myself. 

18 comments:

  1. Maggie,
    What a great example of what can happen when "Leaders Do and Doers Lead" You are both a doer and a leader. How inspiring it is to hear about a teacher wanting to do something great for kids and their school community. Kudos also to your administration for supporting you rather than give you all of the reasons why this idea wasn't possible. How blessed your community is to have a staff that models for students that you can achieve anything you set your mind to. Proud of you! - jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, you truly exemplify educators who have a passion for doing what is best for your students. When you believe it can happen IT WILL happen! I am truly inspired by your poise to follow through to live that dream. It isn't about special titles or special degrees. It's about dreaming it, planning it, and executing it! I have been moved by your story of passion. Congratulations on your first post! I knew it would be great based on your experience! Awesome to hear El Valle de Rio Grande representando! David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Maggie. I don't know where to start. This piece gained momentum as it went on. I love that you went right in to your principal and I love even more how he shared your enthusiasm. This may have been your first post but it better not be the last. We will all be better if you continue to share your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Harper..thank you so much for kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the read. #dreamerswin

      Delete
  4. There are so many times I have stared at that computer screen and not taken the plunge. I am going to bookmark this so your story will remind me of what can happen if I do! What a great role model you are for your students and think of the impression left upon your "ladies" that went to the White House! Thank you for sharing and Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria..thank you for reading my post. You inspire me to keep dreaming!

      Delete
  5. I must admit, I am in tears. You exude the power of an educator to change the world. What an experience for you and your students. Way to be a risk-taker. That inspires me. Afraid maybe I was losing a bit of that in myself. Young, passionate, motivated professionals like you are throwing gas on my fire. Thanks, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Don't allow the day-to-day bog you down of who you were meant to be. Just go do it! It's that simple.

      Delete
  6. Maggie, This is an amazing story and I'm so glad you shared it. You set the bar VERY high for your 2nd blog post! Thanks for the inspiration this morning too.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How in God's name am I going to top this? Already working on it! PLN inspires me to keep dreaming.

      Delete
  7. Maggie,
    I absolutely love this! This story is so motivating and inspiring. The students are so lucky that you were willing to take on this challenge and bring them opportunity. It is absolutely amazing what students can do when they are empowered. They can change the world! I hope that your lesson inspires more people to aim high and take on challenges. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

    Keep blogging! Keep empowering students! Keep changing the world!

    Oliver Schinkten
    @schink10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver! This is the kind-a-thing my PLN inspires. Right back at you! Taking my cues from great leaders like you.

      Delete
  8. Great first blog post, Maggie! One of the joys of being a leader (in any capacity) is planting seeds in others and watching them grow, and then seeing them do the same to others. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOOHOOO...you are a #hero! Thanks for doing what you do for kids and for sharing...very inspirational to so many (me included!) Congrats on all your successes and keeping #makinganimpact!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Being fearless changes the direction immediately. Being fearless sees an impact opportunity and seizes it. We are all better professionals, better people - because of dreamers."

    Maggie, I'm perusing older blog posts to learn more about my amazing PLN, and I just have to say how inspired I am by your willingness to choose to be fearless, and set a new course for your students, and your school. We are better leaders because of dreamers like you, who choose to be fearless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Maggie,
    I read all your blog posts. What a gift you have for touching heartstrings with your writings. I took Chris Crouch's advice today when he said, "You have to read this blog" and "Such an inspirational educator." Yes, now, I hope for more blog posts!

    What an exciting time to jump into the app contest with five teams. I love how you thank Verizon and your administration. I believe being fearless comes when we are believed in. When your principal said, "Let's do it." You were given permission to jump in wholeheartedly because it was a team effort. he was on your side. You were totally supported.

    I like to think when we believe in our students like that and trust them with their learning, they become fearless learners. When we give them permission to dream and learn, our students then can say, like you did to your principal, "You saw something in me that I hadn’t seen in myself."

    Warmly,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete